Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Shopping for the Book "Don't Make Me Think"



I found the book titled "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug through Google Search. In the search box in Google, I typed "buy book don't make me think by steve krug". Then, I clicked on the top of the search results, which took me to Froogle. There were 2 stores that were offering this book and I choose the cheaper one (shop.com Outlet).

I immediately liked the looks of the shop.com site since it looked reliable and well maintained. I liked the fact that they had an image of the book; I was able to confirm that I was in the right place. The bright red "add to cart" button was visible enough; even for first time online shoppers. I also liked the "Enter US Destination Zip Code" box; which gave me the shipping cost. I don't like sites where you don't find out about the shipping cost until the end.

However, as I looked through the page carefully, I started noticing some parts that I didn’t like about the page. First of all, I didn't like the sponsor links being at the top; above the description of the book. In order to read the contents in the product info tab, I had to scroll down to the bottom of the page. I think the sponsor links should move to the bottom of the page. Also, clicking on the sponsor links opened up a new window, which allowed me to shop elsewhere. I don't think that is a good idea... I didn't like the fact that when you click on "Store Rating" link, it didn't have a "go back to previous page" button on the screen.

I liked the checkout process until I came to this screen (after entering my credit card information), which said “receive your discount or apply your carecodes”. There were check marks next to two discount coupons from Washington Mutual (value 5%). I removed the check marks and proceeded. When I am shopping for something, I don’t like it when the stores try to add other products or services to my order. Everything else was fine throughout the checkout process. I liked the bright red buttons and the order confirmation screen before finally placing my order.

No comments: